Online: 3 Guests: 32
Get ready to watch some giant robot on giant monster action. The first trailer for Pacific Rim is here.
Launching into theaters in the summer of '13, the logline for Guillermo del Toro's next movie comes across like a fanboy's wet dream: a big budget, CG-filled spectacle where multiple different giant robots (called "Jaegers" in the film) battle to protect humanity from the mindless attacks of giant monsters (called "kaiju"). Sure, when you think about it logically it makes no sense for the armies of the world to spend billions of dollars building giant robots armed with missiles, guns and rocket-powered punching fists, but in Hollywood logic it makes perfect sense.
Some of the scenes are classic del Toro: the monsters resemble Lovecraft-inspired beasts, and that shot of Japanese actress Rinko Kikuchi lifting up her umbrella in the rain is right outta classic Guillermo moviemaking. The big question that I have is: will this be Guillermo del Toro's true breakthrough movie, his Independence Day event, or is it too geek-centric to find a mainstream audience?
I honestly don't know yet. Perhaps after watching this Pacific Rim trailer, you'll fill me in as to your opinion:
There are currently no comments
- 4 Ray Harryhausen: 1920-2013
- 2 Review: Iron Man 3
- 1 Promo: Agents of SHIELD
- 0 Game of Thrones review: Season 3, Episode 5
- 0 Game of Thrones: Season 3, Episode 5 Deconstructed
- 0 Game of Thrones: Season 3, Episode 6 Deconstructed
- 0 Game of Thrones: Season 3, Episode 7 Deconstructed
- 0 Game of Thrones review: Season 3, Episode 6
- 0 Opinion: Why Star Trek Into Darkness fails